Preliminary Conference Agenda
Schedule is preliminary, and is subject to change.
Tuesday, December 9
Please note that all conference events will take place in Room 302 (second floor) of the Raleigh Convention Center.
|9:00 am – 9:50 am
||Special Pre-Conference Session: The A to Z of FTTH Technology
|In this session, FTTH Council technical experts will explain the fundamentals of the FTTH network and the various configuration options.
Moderated by Joe Jensen, P.E., Americas Market Development Manager, Corning
- Douglas Dowling, Broadband Network Solutions, TE Connectivity
- Kurt Raaflaub, Global Product Marketing, Carrier Networks Division, ADTRAN
|10:00 am – 10:15 am
||Opening Remarks by Heather Burnett Gold, President, FTTH Council Americas
|10:15 am – 11:00 am
||Opening Keynote Address: Jill Szuchmacher, Director, Business Development, Google Fiber
|11:00 am – 12:00 pm
||Lessons from Network Operator Leaders – How We Made It Happen
|Grab a front row seat and learn from experienced network operators as they highlight the struggles and successes they had in their implementations. Presenters will discuss best practices and strategies for overcoming obstacles in your deployment plan.
Moderated by Heather Burnett Gold, President, FTTH Council Americas
- Will Aycock, General Manager, Greenlight, City of Wilson, NC
- Alan Jones, Vice President, OSP Engineering and Development, C Spire
- Randy Klindt, General Manager, Co-Mo Comm, Tipton, MO
|12:15 pm – 1:30 pm
||Lunchtime Keynote Presentation: Gail Roper, CIO, City of Raleigh, NC
|1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
||How All-Fiber Is Transforming Communities
|In this session, communities who have deployed discuss the ways they used ultra-high bandwidth for economic and social development.
Moderated by Gary Bolton, Vice President, Global Marketing, ADTRAN
- Dennis Bloss, Vice President and General Manager, North Carolina, Frontier Communications
- Florencio Bulanhagui, Director, Video Services, Summit Broadband
- Mike Deller, Vice President, Engineering and Planning, Comporium Communications
- Ben Lovins, Senior Vice President, Telecommunications Division, Jackson Energy Authority
|2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
||Organizing, Promoting, and Marketing for Success
|The key to all successful implementations is identifying a champion and then working through community organizations to gain support and build momentum toward a successful enterprise. This panel will explore strategies for building community support; a process that is more of an art than a science, requiring organization, persistence, and good political instinct.
Moderated by Joe Reardon, Partner, McAnany, Van Cleave & Phillips, PA
- Aaron Deacon, Managing Director, KC Digital Drive
- Shannon D. Sears, Director of Commercial Operations, West Carolina Telephone
- Kris Ward, Residential Development and Special Projects Manager, ATMC
- Parker Wiseman, Mayor, Starkville, MS
|3:30 pm – 4:00 pm
||Break in Exhibit Area
|4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
||Workshop 1: Creating the Business Plan
|Explore key elements that need to be covered in your business plan, including community approval, design, facility staffing and build, asset management, vendor / partner selection, construction build, content installation, and service and maintenance. Presenters will also discuss project capital and operational costs as key elements to building a sustainable business plan for all fiber deployment.
Moderated by Phil Geraffo, Director, Product Management, TE Connectivity
- Frankie Denmark, Developer Relations, Hargray Communications
- Joanne Hovis, President, CTC Technology & Energy
- Kyle Hollifield, Senior Vice President, Magellan Advisors
|5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
Wednesday, December 10
Please note that all conference events will take place at the Raleigh Convention Center.
|7:00 am – 8:00 am
|8:00 am – 8:10 am
||Day 2 Opening Remarks by Joseph Jones, Chair, FTTH Community Toolkit Committee
|8:10 am – 9:00 am
||Workshop 2: Regulatory Considerations in the Business Model
- Tom Cohen, Partner, Kelley Drye & Warren, LLP
- Tom Koutsky, Chief Policy Counsel, Connected Nation
- Staci Pies, Senior Policy Counsel, Google
|9:10 am – 10:10 am
||Workshop 3: Sources of Funding and Partnerships for Private and Public Entities
|Learn key information and analysis of state, federal, and local resources available for network operators and community leaders, from assistance with business model development to funding the project, and gain an understanding of the array of resources, where to find them, and how to best choose the right ones for their project.
Moderated by Diego Anderson, SVP and GM, Residential and Small Business, Lumos Networks
- Hunter Goosmann, Executive Director and CEO, ERC Broadband
- Colman Keane, Director of Fiber Technology, EPB
- Scott Soden, Managing Partner, Alpina Capital, LLC
- Anthony J. Tindall, General Field Representative, Policy and Outreach Division,
Rural Utilities Services, USDA
|10:10 am – 11:00 am
||Workshop 4: Issuing an RFP for Private and Public Entities
|The model of network ownership your community chooses will determine the type of RFPs issued for potential partners/service providers. Learn how to evaluate your internal knowledge about telecommunications, the desire of a community to own and/or control its own network assets in selecting their approach, and the appropriate elements of the project RFPs.
Moderated by Dave Kiel, Global Director, Product Management, Corning
- John George, Director, Solutions and Professional Services, OFS
- Sherry McCuller, Managing Director, Peregrine Management Partners, LLC
- Gary Tyler, Market Manager, Clearfield Communications
|11:10 am – 12:00 pm
||Workshop 5: Managing the Implementation
|Once communities decide to move forward, they must follow up their business case, RFP, and solicitation of support with an implementation plan to manage the project—to be on time, on budget, and deliver what is needed. Participants will learn how to deploy a tight implementation strategy, including contract and oversight.
Moderated by Walt Donovan, Vice President, Business Development, Dycom
- Alan Jones, Vice President, OSP Engineering & Development, C Spire
- Luke LaPierre, Business Development Manager, Home Telecom
|12:00 pm – 12:15 pm
||Closing Remarks by Heather Burnett Gold, President, FTTH Council Americas
|12:30 pm – 8:30 pm
||FTTH Council Americas Premier Member Meeting
|Click here for the member meeting agenda.